I’ve been making some healthy breakfast burritos for the family lately. I used recipe from HyVee Dish as my inspiration but it was not as healthy as I would have liked. Therefore, I made a few small tweaks and made my own recipe.
These burritos do take a little bit of time/ steps to make, BUT they will save you so much time and energy on those busy mornings. I am going to share the recipe that I use and it generally makes 12-15 burritos (depending on the tortilla size) but you can make the number you need by dividing or doubling the recipe. They freeze well so I always make more than less!
Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- 15 Eggs, Scrambled
- 1 lb Sausage, Real or Turkey
- 1 lb Bacon, Real or Turkey
- 1/2 Hash brown Bag, Cooked
- 3 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 12-15 Whole Wheat Tortillas (I use Target brand)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Stick & Seal Saran Wrap
- Scramble eggs. I add a dash of milk to make them more fluffy. (Tip- Steps 1-5 can be cooking at the same time!)
- Cook scrambled eggs. Break into very small pieces then add to a large mixing bowl to cool. (Pictured above)
- Cook sausage. Break into small pieces. Drain. Add to mixing bowl with eggs.
- Cook bacon. I cook my bacon in the oven for less mess & even cooking. Turn oven on to 400*. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay bacon evenly on the sheet in one layer. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is cooked how you like. Cut bacon with a kitchen scissors or crumble with hands when cool. Add pieces to egg bowl. (Pictured above)
- Cook hash browns in a pan with olive oil. When cooked for about 10 minutes, add them to the large mixing bowl.
- Add cheese to mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients in the bowl together. Season to taste with a little salt & pepper.
- To begin filling burritos you will take one tortilla and lay it on a flat surface. Fill it with a line of “stuffing” and wrap it up. (I wrap by folding in the two sides slightly and then rolling the bottom side up.)
- Lay each burrito onto a pan. (Pictured above) Freeze the pan and burritos for at least a few hours (overnight preferred) and then individually wrap them with Saran wrap. Stick and seal works best!
If you love this recipe & you want more, subscribe (top right of the home page!!!)